The Tenancy Unit within Consumer Affairs provides services to tenants and landlords/agent of residential properties in the Northern Territory. The legislative responsibilities of tenants and landlords are outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act
The landlord/tenant relationship is usually harmonious but difficulties do arise, and sometimes landlords and tenants have different ideas of their respective rights and responsibilities.
Tenancy - Water Charges
Landlords are allowed to pass on the full cost of water consumption provided:
• the rental premises are individually metered, and
• the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption.
However, a landlord cannot ask a tenant to pay for charges, levies, rates or taxes, other than a charge payable by the owner or occupier of the premises for electricity, gas or water supplied to the premises.
For general advice about residential tenancies please contact our office on (08) 8999 1999 or by email at email@example.com .
RT03 - Notice to Remedy Unpaid Rent pdf
RT04a - Notice to Remedy Breach by Landlord pdf
RT04b - Notice to Remedy Breach by Tenant pdf
RT05 - Notice by Landlord to Terminate pdf
RT06 - Notice by Tenant to Terminate pdf
RT07 - Withdrawal of Termination Notice pdf
RT08 - Intention to Retain Deposit & Stat Dec pdf
RT09 - Notice of Entry by Landlord pdf
RT10 - Notice of Rent or Bond Increase pdf
RT11 - Notice of Storage of Goods pdf
RT12 - Unclaimed Tenancy Bond Claim Form pdf
From 1 June 2015, applications in relation to the Residential Tenancies Act are heard by the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT). Applications are required to be lodged on a NTCAT form.
This form, as well as advice on NTCAT procedures and processes, can be found on the NTCAT website: www.ntcat.nt.gov.au
Northern Territory Consumer Affairs will continue to provide assistance with information and advice on all tenancies matters and notices, excluding Residential Tenancy Applications and processes.
- Breaking a lease early - pdf | word
- Moving Out of Home - pdf | word
- Rent Bidding - pdf | word
- Repairs & Maintenance of Rental Properties - pdf | word
- Share Houses - pdf | word
- Abandoned Goods - pdf | word
- Boarders, Lodgers and Sub Tenants - pdf | word
- Breaking a Tenancy Lease Early - pdf | word
- Rent Bidding - pdf | word
- Repairs - pdf | word
- Resolving Common Tenancy Disputes - pdf | word
- Sharing a property - pdf | word
- Security Deposits (Bonds) - pdf | word
- Unclaimed Residential Tenancy Bonds - pdf | word
- What Tenants Should Know About Renting - pdf | word
Did you receive your bond money back?
Earlier Determinations are available from the Office of the Commissioner of Tenancies. Contact Consumer Affairs on 1800 019 319