Consumer Affairs provides advice to tenants and landlord/agents of residential properties in the Northern Territory. The legislative rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords are outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act.
The landlord/tenant relationship is usually harmonious but difficulties do arise, and sometimes landlords and tenants have different ideas of their respective rights and responsibilities.

A Guide to Renting in the Northern Territory

This guide is to give landlords and tenants an overview of their rights and responsibilities under the Northern Territory Residential Tenancies Act.  It is important to note that this information is not the Act itself. 
A copy of this guide is available to download, or print out:  pdf (362 KB)

Tenancy Databases

A tenancy database (or blacklist as it is more commonly known) is a list used by landlords to record personal information about the rental history of their tenants should they default on their tenancy agreement. New Northern Territory Tenancy Database legislation commenced as of 1 July 2018 and helps regulate how entries into these databases are managed and help protect the rights of tenants. The Tenancy Database legislative rights and responsibilities of both tenants and landlords are outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act.
Below is a guide for both Landlords and Tenants:
Landlord Factsheet  pdf | word (495 KB)
Tenant Factsheet  pdf | word (495 KB)

Tenancy - Water Charges

Landlords are allowed to pass on the full cost of water consumption provided:
•          the rental premises are individually metered, and
•          the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption.
However, a landlord cannot ask a tenant to pay for charges, levies, rates or taxes, other than a charge payable by the owner or occupier of the premises for electricity, gas or water supplied to the premises.


For general advice about residential tenancies please contact our office on (08) 8999 1999 or by email at .



RT03 - Notice to Remedy Unpaid Rent  pdf |rtf
RT04a - Notice to Remedy Breach by Landlord  pdf | rtf
RT04b - Notice to Remedy Breach by Tenant  pdf | rtf
RT05 - Notice by Landlord to Terminate  pdf | rtf
RT06 - Notice by Tenant to Terminate  pdf | rtf
RT07 - Withdrawal of Termination Notice  pdf |rtf
RT08 - Intention to Retain Deposit & Stat Dec  pdf |rtf
RT09 - Notice of Entry by Landlord  pdf | rtf
RT10 - Notice of Rent or Bond Increase  pdf |rtf
RT11 - Notice of Storage of Goods  pdf | rtf
RT12 - Unclaimed Tenancy Bond Claim Form  pdf | rtf


From 1 June 2015, applications in relation to the Residential Tenancies Act  are heard by the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT).  Applications are required to be lodged on a NTCAT form.
This form, as well as advice on NTCAT procedures and processes, can be found on the NTCAT website:
Northern Territory Consumer Affairs will continue to provide assistance with information and advice on all tenancies matters and notices, excluding Residential Tenancy Applications and processes.



  • Breaking a lease early - pdf | word
  • Moving Out of Home - pdf | word
  • Rent Bidding - pdfword
  • Repairs & Maintenance of Rental Properties - pdf | word
  • Share Houses - pdf | word

 Fact Sheets

  • Abandoned Goods - pdf | word 
  • Boarders, Lodgers and Sub Tenants - pdf | word 
  • Breaking a Tenancy Lease Early  - pdf | word 
  • Moving out before a Shared Tenancy ends - pdf | word 
  • Rent Bidding - pdf | word 
  • Repairs  -  pdf | word 
  • Resolving Common Tenancy Disputes -  pdf word 
  • Sharing a property  - pdf  | word 
  • Security Deposits (Bonds)  - pdf | word 
  • Unclaimed Residential Tenancy Bonds  - pdfword 
  • What Tenants Should Know About Renting  - pdf word


Did you receive your bond money back?

If not - then click here for further information


Selected Determinations from 2006 on are available on a national database of legal cases from the link:
Earlier Determinations are available from the Office of the Commissioner of Tenancies. Contact Consumer Affairs on 1800 019 319